- Head of the Drama Department: Mr Walsh
- Email: Nathan.Walsh@cncs.school
Our Drama and Theatre curriculum is designed to provide students with practical skills that engage creative and innovative thinking. Through the subjects of Drama, students are able to build a variety of positive skills, including confidence, communication skills and problem solving. It provides learners with a wide variety of transferable skills and career paths that link closely with other curriculum areas and employers. This practical subject allows students to express themselves in an artistic and creative way whilst studying in an academic environment. The students are inspired to develop a passion for the arts through practical and theoretical exploration of theatre and literature.
Topics include – Characterisation Skills, Drama Conventions, Scripted work, Devising drama, Pantomime & Melodrama, Shakespearean Theatre, Silent Film & Slapstick Comedy.
Students can choose to take GCSE Drama or BTEC Performing Arts. Throughout both courses, students will explore the subject both practically and theoretically. Students will create and perform Devised and Scripted pieces as well as study set works of theatre.
In addition to our exciting and practical curriculum we also have lots of extra curricular projects for students to get involved with beyond lesson time. Opportunities are further enhanced through booster sessions, visiting artists, trips and performance events.
Recent activities include:
- Visit to Belgrade Theatre to watch ‘A Monster Calls’
- Summer Shakespeare performance of ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’
- Visit to Belgrade Theatre to watch ‘Noughts & Crosses
- School Musical performance of ‘Fame Jr.’
- Visit to Belgrade Theatre to watch ‘Comedy about a Bank Robbery’
- Performing Arts Showcases - Young Performer of The Year
- Acting & Performance workshop with Westend & Broadway star Declan Bennett
- Visit to De Montfort Hall to see ‘Blood Brothers’
- Visit to Warwick Arts Centre to see Frantic Assembly and Knee High
- Performance with Highly Sprung at The Belgrade Theatre
- School Musical Performance of ‘High School Musical’
- School Musical Performance of ‘Footloose’