WORK EXPERIENCE AT CARDINAL NEWMAN
Students in Year 10 and 12 will attend Work Experience at the following times this academic year:
Year 10 - Monday 10th July to Friday 14th July
Year 12 - Monday 17th July to Friday 21st July
The main objectives of work experience for our students are:
- To allow students to experience and understand how commerce and industry operate.
- To experience the difference in the working and school environment.
- To help students to see the relevance of school subjects to the world of work.
- To help students gain greater self-confidence and maturity.
- To enable students to find placements that are related to the career/university course they are considering and also to their subjects and, hopefully, increasing their motivation.
- To allow them to prepare for their personal statement for their UCAS form for university applications/CV for the workplace.
- To practice new skills. Soft skills, communication, team working etc.
Relevant work experience is increasingly viewed as an essential part of any good application for Further and Higher Education and the world of work. For candidates equally good on paper applying for courses/jobs, it could well be the work experience placement that tips the balance in favour of one candidate over the other. This is the case more than ever nowadays given the greater competition for places in higher education and for the job market.
Students are encouraged to find their own placements, with support from their families, Form Tutors and their Heads of Year. Key details of the process to finding placements is included in the letter and booklet, which can be found below. Students who need further support should contact their form tutor, Head of Year or Mrs Scanlon.
If you are an employer who wishes to offer work experience to a student at Cardinal Newman, then please email Mrs Scanlon (firstname.lastname@example.org) for further details.